StatCounter

How can Stores be so Fucking Arrogant in a BAD Economy?


The last time I read a newspaper, unemployment hit a new high record, stores are closing down, homes repossessed. Now, more than ever, I thank the people who work in stores for forcing me to save my money, what little I do have.

 Case in point: I ran out of vitamins. Luckily, my doctor appointment was by the Mall where I could pop into one of two vitamin stores. I first entered the empty GNC where I customarily purchase chewable vitamins because GERD causes me to choke on pills.

The salesman shot me an incredulous look. With disdain, he snorted, "CHEWABLE? We don't sell that at all!"

Rather than argue with this moron's idiocy and attitude, I walked out. GNC, go fuck yourselves.

I then went into the empty Vitamin Shoppe where they had chewables. The salesman rang up the sale.

"Twenty-five dollars?" I said, amazed at the price, over double for chewables. Those must be awfully delicious to command such a price.

"Well, if you're a member, it'll be only $15, but it'll cost you," he said.

"How about this?" I suggested. "How about nothing and enjoy the lack of revenue. Of course, people are banging down the doors to this store. I foresee a great future for you... unemployed!" and I turned around and left.

Okay, I thought, that was arrogance from two very large chains that evidently do so well they can afford to discourage customers from ever purchasing their products. This was an isolated incident, repetitive, but mostly indicative of the vitamin industry.

Boy, was I wrong!

To support my community, I once exclusively shopped at local hardware stores. Bit by bit, I noticed they treat me like dirt and spat at my money.  No doubt they can afford to pick and choose their customers. Instead, I now shop at big hardware chains. They willingly accept my money for their sub-par products.

However, this morning I broke my rule and decided to shop at a local one because it was en route to another destination. I needed exterior latex paint for the trim to my house. While there, I figured, might as well pick up some kitchen items that need replacing.

The guy in the empty paint department directed me to their generic brand which is the SAME price as Benjamin Moore, a quality product. Both products're amazingly expensive.

I stood there, surprised at the cost. "Why is the generic brand the same price as a known product?"

Another sales guy came up the aisle. This shmuck, though, ignored my question and said to the other guy, "Open the can up to show her the color."

"Wait," I said, "why would I want to buy that when I can go to a xoxoxox Paint Store and purchase the Benjamin Moore product for less?"

He ignored me and walked away. The new guy turned to me, "You're absolutely right. Go to xoxoxoxo Paint Store. You'll get Benjamin Moore products for less money. I tell all the customers that to help them save money."

Puzzled by his honesty that'll be the demise of his livelihood in an economy where jobs are as prevalent as hens' teeth, I went to another section of the hardware store to pick up kitchen items that totaled a mere $30.

I dragged this crap to the registers to see they're all closed. A bunch of people piled up behind me. I asked, "Where can I purchase these products?"

Some lady counting money at a closed register shrieked at me, "You'll have to wait. We can't find anyone to open up." Meanwhile, the overhead speakers bleated, "SOMEONE PLEASE OPEN UP A REGISTER?"

Fifteen men wearing the store's trademark red shirts milled behind the line, shrugging their shoulders.

"You'll just have to wait," yelled the woman counting the wads of singles.

Annoyed,  I put the products on top of a cart and left, saying, "I guess you're doing so well, you don't need my money or my patronage." I wasn't the only one who left. It must be hard hiring a competent cashier in today's economy. Guess we should import workers from China or India because Americans simply don't know how to do that job.

I stopped off at the Rite-Aid next door to the hardware store to pick up my vitamins. Luckily, I found the chewables with a coupon saving over $10 from what I would've paid with or without shit attitudes from either Vitamin Shoppe or GNC.

At the counter, I told the two people working there, "Hey, the hardware store has some business! They don't want people to buy their products!"

The guy at the register said, "Yeah, I heard that they treat people like shit lately. Don't know why, though."

We shook our heads.

Upon my return home, I phoned xoxox Paint Store. "Guess what!" I told the fellow who owned the place. "The local hardware store tells their customers to shop with you!"

"Love the endorsement," said the fellow, "But what the hell's going on with those people? It's great getting new business, but isn't it crazy?"

Nah, it's the American way.

# # #




This blog and all its posts are a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.


No comments: