StatCounter

John Powers and John Powers and John Powers

I was told last year this photo was too disturbing to publish in a comedy blog. 


Sometimes I wonder about myself. For the past 20 minutes, I laughed so hard and so loud, I sounded demented. Well, it is known that my rare neurological deafness does affect cognitive ability. After what happened today, I believe that's true.

I've interacted lately with a young and very talented comedian, John Powers. This guy is all over the web and in comedy clubs and funny as well. He's a stand-up guy as well as a stand-up comedian. I admire stand-up comedians - I could never do that. I'm very good with public speaking as I've done that on and off for 30 years. It's just my horrible memory; I'd forget my shtick after two seconds.

John asked me to write a 300 word article about inter-racial dating for his and April Brucker's dating advice site, http://sexfrombothsides.wordpress.com. April is another accomplished comedian and author. Given the craziness of my upcoming week, the heat and my general malaise, I sat down and wrote the short story. It took all day, as most things take for me lately, intermittently interrupted by jumping into the lake.

Later, John asked for several pics. The one I truly adore came out over-exposed. Instead, I sent him a few of me looking deranged because I had the flu. And one of my all-time favs, a dead deer on the side of the road. Just in case. You never know.

It's been some time since I was on John's website. I typed his name and voila! I got the most amazing motivational website:





I went through the website, hysterical and in awe of John's creativity. I howled in laughter at the accolades and the testimonials, marveling at my friend's professionalism and great sense of humor. I wondered about the time he devoted to making such a website.

In response, I sent him an email telling him how much I adored his website after not being on for a few months. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

"You know, I pulled a similar stunt last year," I wrote. "I put out phony press releases  where I was the first inductee of the National Bathroom Readers' Hall of Fame. Before it's News blocked me for perpetuity along with several other press release sites. The best part is receiving email and twitter congratulations from tons of people including kindle, amazon and Sony."

When I sent out that email, I noticed his web address wasn't the same as the website I viewed. John's site is: www.johnjpowers.com as below:



HOLY FUCK!

I did it again!

I realized then and there it was impossible for me to describe to John the nonsense I did. Because any explanation would sound very fucked up. It may also scare him from publishing my 300-word story about inter-racial dating.

Instead, I'm putting it up here with the hope that John won't read this blog post until AFTER he puts me up on his site. 

Curious, I googled John R. Powers and indeed his credentials are real which include writing a best-selling novel and winning 2 Emmy Awards. Sadly, he passed away January 2013 at age 67. RIP John R. Powers. Too bad I didn't know you before.


John R. Powers


# # #

1 comment:

John Powers said...

He was a great guy. I spoke to him in 2005 (or so) about doing a link exchange. It was obviously more beneficial to me than to him (his website is funnier and he had one more Emmy than I do). He declined the link exchange suggestion but we had a great conversation. He was truly a great guy. I'll never forget that conversation.
... just waiting for my site to be ranked higher than his!